After A Spinal Injury, You Deserve Experienced And Attentive Legal Representation
Being injured in an accident can be disconcerting and stressful. A spinal injury can result in mild to severe pain. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may experience numerous symptoms, and you are likely to incur costly medical bills. If you suspect your spinal cord injury is the result of another party’s negligence, our attorneys at The McGarity Group have the skills and experience to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
There Are Many Types Of Spinal Injuries
Injuries to the spinal cord are serious and often require extensive medical care. Types of spinal injuries include:
- Disc injuries: There are a variety of disc injuries that can occur, including a herniated disc, ruptured disc, bulging disc, protruding disc or torn disc.
- Thoracic spine injuries: The 12 vertebrae in the upper back make up the thoracic spine. The thoracic spine is designed to protect the vital organs of the heart and lungs.
- Cervical injuries: The involve injuries to the neck – specifically the neck and the section of the spine that has seven vertebral bones, which get smaller as they get closer to the base of the skull.
- Lumbar injuries: These involve the lower back, which experiences a lot more motion than the rest of the spine and also carries all the weight of the torso. As a result, the lower back is the most frequently injured area of the spine.
- Sacral and coccyx injuries: A bone called the sacrum makes up the back part of the pelvis. It connects the spine to the lower half of the body. The coccyx, otherwise known as the tailbone, is in the sacral region at the very bottom of the spine.
- Spinal fractures: Including spinal burst fractures, compression fractures, flexion-distraction fractures and fracture-dislocations.
- Anterior cord syndrome: Anterior spinal cord syndrome is the result of the compression of the artery that runs along the front of the spinal cord. Patients with anterior spinal cord syndrome usually have a complete loss of strength below the level of injury.
- Central cord syndrome: This syndrome is associated with damage to the large nerve fibers that carry information directly from the cerebral cortex to the spinal cord and are particularly important to hand and arm movements.
Every spinal cord injury is different, and the effects are varied. Common effects of spinal cord injuries may include intense and chronic pain, numbness and loss of sensation, paralysis, loss of bowel/bladder control, changes in sexual function/reproductive ability and more. We conduct in-depth research and coordinate with medical experts to help jurors understand the full extent of your injuries and how they will impact your life. This will help us calculate the damages you need to live as normally as possible, and to maximize your compensation if your case goes to trial.
Common Causes Of Spinal Cord Injuries And How Our Firm Can Help You
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by traumatic injuries and non-traumatic injuries, such as illnesses. While it is unlikely you have a legal action for an illness that causes injury to your spine, our personal injury attorneys can help you seek compensation for traumatic injuries if they were caused by someone else’s negligence or intentional acts in scenarios such as the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Football, hockey, gymnastics or other sports activities
- Slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents
- Assault and other forms of intentional violence
- Diving into shallow water
When you sustain an accident-related injury, your main focus is on recovering and getting healthy. Our personal injury attorneys can deal with the insurance carriers and other parties, and fight for your right to obtain compensation for your injuries and losses. We work diligently to gather your medical records and bills. We interview witnesses, hire an accident reconstructionist when needed and help you locate experienced physicians if you do not have insurance. We have vast experience in mediated settlements and strive to obtain the most money for you that we can. Having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side significantly increases your chance of a fair monetary settlement or judgment.
Contact The McGarity Group For Dedicated Legal Representation
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to the wrongful acts of another, contact The McGarity Group at 770-692-9877 or reach out online to schedule your free initial consultation. At our firm, all personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay no legal fees until we help you recover money. Our firm is based in Buford, and we serve clients throughout the Atlanta area and across all of Georgia.